Comp111 - Quiz 2 Review 2 Answers
Quiz 2 Dec 8, 2009 - closed book
Please fill in the blanks. Each blank is worth 5 points.
- I/o subsystems form ____producer-consumer____ relationships
with one another in order to simplify coding. The disk
has no idea of the meaning of the data it manages, which can
consist of descriptions of inodes, file blocks, and
- An inode for a file contains information on its
____protection/mode____ but contains no information
on the files's
____name or path____.
- The root directory (/) is the only one whose
____parent____ is itself.
We exploit this in determining the
____pathname/name____ of a file, by
traversing the directory tree
____upward____ to the root and
remembering the name of each
- The virtual memory subsystem utilizes
to augment physical memory. To speed up memory
access, a typical VM system
____hashes____ the address
of a page.
- Round-robin scheduling is optimal for minimizing
____response____ time (in many cases) while
____non-premptive/batch____ scheduling is optimal
for maximizing throughput. The scheduler cannot predict
will occur and has to approximate this based at most
upon prior behavior of the process.
- One reason that scheduling is not a simple problem is that
____context____ switching does not occur in no
time at all. It takes time to save and restore both the values of
____registers____ and the memory
____map____. Some time is saved if the context switch
____threads____ rather than between normal processes.