Comp111 - Quiz 2 Review 2
Quiz 2 Dec 8, 2009 - closed book
Please fill in the blanks. Each blank is worth 5 points.
- I/o subsystems form ________1________ relationships
with one another in order to simplify coding. The disk
has no idea of the meaning of the data it manages, which can
consist of descriptions of inodes, file blocks, and
- An inode for a file contains information on its
________6________ but contains no information
on the files's
- The root directory (/) is the only one whose
________8________ is itself.
We exploit this in determining the
________9________ of a file, by
traversing the directory tree
________10________ to the root and
remembering the name of each
- The virtual memory subsystem utilizes
to augment physical memory. To speed up memory
access, a typical VM system
________13________ the address
of a page.
- Round-robin scheduling is optimal for minimizing
________14________ time (in many cases) while
________15________ scheduling is optimal
for maximizing throughput. The scheduler cannot predict
will occur and has to approximate this based at most
upon prior behavior of the process.
- One reason that scheduling is not a simple problem is that
________17________ switching does not occur in no
time at all. It takes time to save and restore both the values of
________18________ and the memory
________19________. Some time is saved if the context switch
________20________ rather than between normal processes.