All > Show only:
Lecture Notes Examples Exercises Assignments Review Sheets Exams
What follows is a rough plan for the content of the
course, including readings, lecture notes, exercises, and answers.
This is subject to change but will give some guidance as to where
we are going.
This is a living document. As I lecture, I will be
updating and revising these notes. Please do not consider a
page definitive until I've given it a date and then talked about it in class
on that date.
For PDF files, please use Adobe Acrobat reader.
For OneNote files, please use Microsoft OneNote.
For PPT or PPTX files, please use Microsoft Powerpoint.
- [9/5/2018] Operating Systems (Stallings Chapter 2)
- [9/10/2018] Time and Time Sharing (Stallings Chapter 2)
- [9/12/2018] Life and Death of Processes (man sleep,fgets,fork,exec)
- [9/12/2018] Assignment 1: Measuring time due 9/26/2018 at 11pm
- [9/17/2018] Signals and handlers (man signal, sigaction, sigsetmask, sigprocmask, alarm)
- [9/19/2018] Special Session: C for Java Programmers due 9/19/2018 at open block
- [9/21/2018] Inter-process Communication and Glue (man open,close,fdopen,pipe,dup)
- [9/24/2018] C Pointers and Arrays
- [9/26/2018] C Types
- [10/1/2018] Threads (Stallings Chapter 4)
- [10/1/2018] Assignment 2: Aardvarks and Anthills due 10/17/2018 at 11pm
- [10/3/2018] Thread Programming (Stallings Chapter 4)
- [10/3/2018] Quiz 1 due 10/3/2018 at last 45 minutes of class
- [10/8/2018] Locks and the Bounded Buffer
- [10/10/2018] Atomicity and semaphores (man sem_overview, sem_init, sem_wait, sem_post, semop)
- [10/15/2018] Deadlock (Stallings Chapter 6)
- [10/17/2018] Deadlock Prevention
- [10/22/2018] Assignment 3: the sandbox due 11/7/2018 at 11pm
- [10/22/2018] Memory Management (Stallings Chapter 7)
- [10/24/2018] Virtual Memory (Stallings Chapter 8)
- [10/29/2018] Memory Addressing (Stallings Chapters 7-8)
- [10/31/2018] Scheduling (Stallings Chapter 9)
- [11/5/2018] Queueing Theory
- [11/7/2018] I/O Subsystems (Stallings Chapter 11)
- [11/14/2018] Midterm Examination due 11/14/2018 at whole class period
- [11/19/2018] Disks and Layers (Stallings Chapter 12)
- [11/19/2018] Assignment 4: the pager due 12/5/2018 at 11pm
- [11/26/2018] Filesystems (Stallings Chapter 12)
- [11/28/2018] Storage Challenges (Stallings Chapter 12)
- [12/3/2018] Identity and Security (Stallings Chapter 15)
- [12/5/2018] Threat and Mitigation (Stallings Chapter 15)
- [12/5/2018] Quiz 2 due 12/5/2018 at last 45 minutes of class
- [12/10/2018] Epilogue
- [12/11/2018] Final Exam Review due 12/11/2018 at 7:00-9:00pm
- [12/13/2018] Final Exam due 12/13/2018 at 7:00-9:00pm
- [12/14/2018] Assignment 5: extra credit due 12/14/2018 at 11:00 pm