All > Show only:
Lecture Notes Examples Exercises Assignments Review Sheets Exams
What follows is a rough plan for the content of the
course, including readings, lecture notes, exercises, and answers.
This is subject to change but will give some guidance as to where
we are going.
This is a living document. As I lecture, I will be
updating and revising these notes. Please do not consider a
page definitive until I've given it a date and then talked about it in class
on that date.
For PDF files, please use Adobe Acrobat reader.
For OneNote files, please use Microsoft OneNote.
For PPT or PPTX files, please use Microsoft Powerpoint.
- [9/6/2017] Operating Systems (Stallings Chapter 2)
- [9/11/2017] Time and Time Sharing (Stallings Chapter 2)
- [9/13/2017] Assignment 1: Measuring time due 9/27/2017 at 11pm
- [9/13/2017] Life and Death of Processes (man sleep,fgets,fork,exec)
- [9/18/2017] Signals and handlers (man signal, sigaction, sigsetmask, sigprocmask, alarm)
- [9/20/2017] Inter-process Communication and Glue (man open,close,fdopen,pipe,dup)
- [9/25/2017] C Pointers and Arrays
- [9/27/2017] C Types
- [10/2/2017] Special Session: C for C++ programmers due 10/2/2017 at open block
- [10/2/2017] Threads (Stallings Chapter 4)
- [10/4/2017] Thread Programming (Stallings Chapter 4)
- [10/4/2017] Quiz 1 due 10/4/2017 at last 45 minutes of class
- [10/11/2017] Assignment 2: Ants and Aardvarks due 10/25/2017 at 11pm
- [10/11/2017] Locks and the Bounded Buffer
- [10/16/2017] Atomicity and semaphores (man sem_overview, sem_init, sem_wait, sem_post, semop)
- [10/18/2017] Deadlock (Stallings Chapter 6)
- [10/23/2017] Assignment 3: Sandboxing due 11/8/2017 at 11pm
- [10/23/2017] Deadlock Prevention
- [10/25/2017] Memory Management (Stallings Chapter 7)
- [10/30/2017] Virtual Memory (Stallings Chapter 8)
- [11/1/2017] Memory Addressing (Stallings Chapters 7-8)
- [11/6/2017] Assignment 4: Paging due 11/29/2017 at 11pm
- [11/6/2017] Scheduling (Stallings Chapter 9)
- [11/8/2017] Queueing Theory
- [11/13/2017] I/O Subsystems (Stallings Chapter 11)
- [11/15/2017] Midterm Examination due 11/15/2017 at whole class period
- [11/20/2017] Disks and Layers (Stallings Chapter 12)
- [11/27/2017] Filesystems (Stallings Chapter 12)
- [11/29/2015] Assignment 5: Benchmarking (Extra Credit) due 12/13/2015 at 11:00 pm
- [11/29/2017] Storage Challenges (Stallings Chapter 12)
- [12/4/2017] Identity and Security (Stallings Chapter 14)
- [12/6/2017] Threat and Mitigation (Stallings Chapter 15)
- [12/6/2017] Quiz 2 due 12/6/2017 at last 45 minutes of class
- [12/11/2017] Epilogue
- [12/14/2017] Final Exam due in Lane 100 at 7:00-9:00pm