COMP 117: Internet-Scale Distributed Systems for
Spring of 2019 is by permission of the instructor only.
The following procedures and groundrules will be in effect:
- Students who wish to be considered for admission MUST fill out the online application for admission. Log in with your CS department userid and password. Due date for applications is: Nov. 7, 2018. Applications received later
will be considered as long as space is available.
- No more than 30 students will be accepted for admission
- We will update the course home page to indicate when the course has filled
- Students will be chosen based on a combination of seniority at Tufts, background, and reasons for wanting to take the course
- Although the order in which applications are received does not matter, we may start filling spaces as early as Nov. 9, so apply as soon as possible.
- You will not be able to register in SIS until you are specifically approved by the Professor (Noah Mendelsohn) for admission. SIS will not be maintaining a waiting list.
- We want to be sure that students who are interested are aware of these procedures and have a fair chance to apply, so most spaces in the course will be kept open until well after registration begins. Please do not contact the professor asking for early authorization register; most spaces in the class will be kept open until we are sure a wide range of students have had a chance to apply.
- Because there is a good chance you will not be admitted, you should consider registering for an alternate course as soon as you have the opportunity. If you are later approved for admission to COMP 117, you will have the opportunity to drop any conflicting courses and then to enroll in 117. Enrolling in other courses will not reduce your chances of being admitted to COMP 117.
- We will provide status updates from time-to-time to students who have applied.
- Only if you for some reason don't have a CS dept login and cannot fill out the online application, please email to email@example.com information about your status at Tufts (year, majors, etc.), your student id, your background in computing and networking, and your reasons for wanting to take COMP 117.
- Students who are approved to register will be informed by email, and will be given specific instructions for registering.
If you are unsure whether COMP 117 is right for you, please see the Information Page for Prospective Students.
Note that applications will in general be considered based on merit, not on time received.
We may start filling spaces in the course as early as Nov 15, but some spaces will be held at least until Friday Nov 17 and perhaps significantly longer.