The goal of this assignment is to introduce yourself, to make sure we have correct basic information about you, such as your CS Dept login, and to find out what interests and/or concerns you have that relate to the course.
Please introduce yourself by sending a short e-mail to email@example.com. Please include:
- Your name (and if it's not obvious, what you prefer to be called)
- Your year (junior, 1st year masters, etc.)
- Your major(s), minor(s), etc.
- An attachment with a picture of yourself (something I can use to learn what you look like...hint from previous terms: face paint and costumes don't help!)
- Your Tufts UTLN
- Your Tufts CS Department login — this is essential, as some of our distributed programming frameworks assign ports based on your CS login
- Your Tufts or CS Department e-mail (whichever you prefer if you have both). This is where your assignment grades and other communications will be sent (if you are a new student and don't yet have a Tufts e-mail, then give us an e-mail that will work, and let us know when you get a Tufts or CS e-mail).
- An explanation of your background if any, using: HTML, CSS, and HTTP
- A list of the other Tufts CS courses you have taken, or if pertinent, courses you've taken at other universities. If the list is inconveniently long, then just give a representative sample.
- A brief explanation of your programming experience: what languages do you know and how well? Are you comfortable writing and building C++ programs in a Linux/Unix environment? Do you have significant experience with Python (or Ruby or similar languages?) Do you have any experience programming the Web or other distributed systems?
- (optional) Any comments on what interests you, whether in CS or anything else, would be most welcome. What excites you, why are you taking CS 117? It's also fine (in fact helpful) to be candid if you're unsure about whether to take the course, if you have concerns, etc.
There's no need to spend more than 5 or 10 minutes on this assignment. Also: don't worry if your email is initially rejected due to size. The mailing list handler catches messages over something like 50K, but I will go in and approve them for delivery. It's better if the image you attach isn't multi-megabytes!