COMP 150 ECP - Evolution of Cognitive Processes
What Is Thought? by Eric B. Baum,
Bradford/MIT Press, 2004
Table of Contents
(I have added questions that have come up in class.)
The Mind Is a Computer Program
- Why is Occam's Razor important?
- How much is in the DNA and how much is learned?
- How much depends on the environment, and how much
is chance? If intelligent life evolved independently
on an earth-like planet, would we recognize it?
- What is evolution optimizing?
- What is the role of language, and how does it relate
to thought, learning, and consciousness?
- How is language, or the ability to learn langauge,
coded in the genome?
The Turing Test, the Chinese Room, and What Computers Can't Do
Occam's Razor and Understanding
Remarks on Ocaam's Razor
Modules and Metaphors
The Evolution of Learning
Language and the Evolution of Thought
The Evolution of Consciousness
What Is Thought?
- What more is there to "mind" beyond the proteins
coded in the exons?
- Is more known now about "junk" DNA that would give
a better estimate of the size of the DNA "program"?
Main thesis: Semantics is equivalent to capturing and exploiting the compact
structure of the world, and thought is all about semantics.
Links of interest